So, it is my personal opinion that music is life. I simply could not survive without it. This being said, I am about to tell you one of the most amazing places to find new music, at least for me….Starbucks. I have on more than one occasion purchased their compilation CDs – one for the holidays and two that they released for Valentine’s Day. Yesterday, I added to my collection by purchasing “Off the Clock”- a compilation of up-and-coming artists who actually work at Starbucks. I have yet to be disappointed! The music is fresh, exciting and often times exposes me to genres I wouldn’t seek out otherwise. I am a big fan of taking music referrals…I don’t always seek out strange new music on my own, but if someone tells me to check something out, I am more than willing. My friend Brandon hooked me up with a few great songs last night, and my life shall never be the same! So, dear friends…send your referrals my way! And just to be fair, here are a few of my own:
1) Massive Attack – My all-time favorite band, if you haven’t checked them out, do so.
2) Lamb, Portishead, and Tricky – More trip-hop vibes, perfect for most situations
3) Boyce Avenue – www.myspace.com/boyceavenue <—these guys WILL be famous someday, and I will do my part to make sure of it!
4) A Perfect Circle – more specifically “Counting Bodies Like….” <–amazingly sexy for a political anthem
5) MIMS – I found “This Is Why I’m Hot” to be sadly addictive and picked up the CD for $8 at Target. Well worth every penny…he’s actually a pretty talented rapper.